The earliest written record of Tarrington is an entry in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it is recorded as Taintune or Tatintyne. At this time, the manor of Tarrington was held by Roger de Laci, and under him by Ansfrid de Cormeilles, who came to England with William the Conqueror.
By 1350 the manor of Tarrington was owned by Edmund de La Barre, after whom parts of the village are still named. The manor then passed through the Bodenham family to the Lingens (who also owned the neighbouring manor of Stoke Edith).
Sir Henry Lingen lead the Royalist forces at one of the most hard-fought sieges of the English Civil War at Goodrich Castle. However, the Parliament forces finally won and Sir Henry was heavily fined for his involvement. His estate which also included some of Tarrington was confiscated by the Commonwealth Government but was later returned to him following the restoration of Charles II in 1660. Unfortunately, Sir Henry died of Smallpox a year later.
The Stoke Edith estate was one of many estates purchased by Thomas Foley, a successful ironmaster and MP from Stourbridge. Thomas’s son, also called Thomas became Speaker of the House of Commons in 1694. Over the centuries the estate expanded and extended into much of Tarrington and the surrounding parishes. Tarrington continued to develop as a village of tenant farmers, labourers and artisans, who supported the Stoke Edith Estate.
In 1919, due to the depression in farming and the agricultural economy plus death duties, parts of the Stoke Edith Estate in Tarrington and the surrounding parishes were auctioned at the Green Dragon Hotel in Hereford. In all, 3,370 acres of land in Tarrington and beyond were made available and passed back into individual ownership. However, a substantial part of the estate was retained by the family.